Monday, June 13, 2011

Remember Me?

Hi, blogging friends!  It has been so long since I've updated my blog or commented on many of yours for that matter.  I feel like I've just gone non-stop these last few months.  I'm on vacation this week, so since it's storming and we're stuck inside I thought there was no better time to get caught up and to catch you up :)

What's new?  Well, some furniture.  We got family room and morning room furniture.  Sticking with our theme of "custom made" - you know the brand new house and all, of course we ended up getting special order furniture!  We got a sectional, chair, and ottoman for the family room.  We've gone back and forth for months on whether or not to get a sectional.  We were worried that if we got a sectional we wouldn't have enough freedom to rearrange the room.  But after thinking about it, we don't really have the option of doing that any way.  Our TV needs to stay where it is, so we thought we'd just go for it and get the sectional.  There's no picture, but I'll be sure to post one in 6 weeks when it comes in.

We were able to agree on morning room furniture more easily.  Here's what we got:  A table, six chairs, 3 stools for the breakfast bar, 2 for the island, and a server for our blank wall in the morning room.





I'm really happy with it.  It is supposed to come in around the first week of August. 

So, we're slowly making progress.  They finally got moving on the outside of the house.  Grass was planted a few weeks ago.  It's doing great in some spots, but not so great in others.  We've been going back and forth with our PM.  The top soil they used was really bad.  We have some big spots with piles of sand - no soil at all.  The back yard is barely coming in.  Overall, I'm not impressed with the job Ryan did with our yard.  Hopefully, I'll be happy in the end.  They finally did the rest of the outside painting, but that also needs some fixing.

On a positive note, our neighbors are fantastic!  We've become good friends with them and we're loving the neighborhood.

Thanks for still reading!  I'm off to get caught up on what's going on with you.

11 comments:

  1. I love it - is that from canadel? We've been looking at them and I love that you get to choose everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful furniture! I'm sorry to hear about the lawn. I've read from a few other blogs that the top soil Ryan uses is no good. It's great to hear abou your neighbors! It's always good to get along with the folks who live around you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Hello Stranger!! =) Nice to see you again! I really hope you've been doing well.

    Your furniture is beautiful!!! LOVE IT!

    Sorry to hear about your lawn. I was asking our PM and he said as far as he knew, they really don't put any top soil at all unless it's really really needed. If you are getting a seeded yard (our back yard will be), they pretty much just seed what's already there unless you've paid for upgrades in the lawn.

    GL with the lawn!! You should stop by more often! Can't wait to see pics of the lawn and furniture once it comes in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back! Your blog was the first Ryan Home blog I found - its been fun watching your progress!

    Beautiful server. That is really nice.

    Sorry you are having trouble with the lawn. Even if your soil was great, you would probably be having trouble - with the early heat and lack of rain in most of the East, this growing season has sucked big time. Besides which, if the grass gets planted AFTER early spring (say March or April) it will struggle because temps aren't optimum for grass sprouting. Fall is really the best time. It also needs a crap-ton of water. If you aren't watering it (deeply) every couple days, its not going to make it.

    Not that you asked, but, get a soil test from your local university cooperative extension office to see what your nutrients look like, and pH. They often can do organic matter, which is also important. Then, fertilize in the fall, and reseed the places that need it then.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shara, it is from Canadel. It's a little more expensive, but it seems to be high quality and I love that we didn't have to settle for something.
    Thanks guys. Believe me, we've been watering like crazy. I think the most disappointing thing has been seeing the lawns that were put in after ours. Much better top soil from the start. We know we'll have a lot of work to do on our own, but we were just hoping for a bit more from Ryan.
    It's been fun catching up with your blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our yard is awful too. It is full of rocks. The houses that are closing now in our neighborhood are getting sod so I am not happy. I just emailed our PM today about our awful yard and asking if we could get sod too. So I am waiting to hear back from him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. With all the lawn issues believe me you are not the only one got me a bit worried. Our back yard will be seeded but thinkin about getting it sodded instead but its so expensive so gonna try and see how the seeded goes. Any advice would be helpful.

    Your furniture looks beautiful the only house purchase that I made so far is the ref. We will slowly replace our old furniture and move on with the new. Its great to see you and we all missed seeing your friendly face around here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey there stranger...the furniture looks great. Was just thinking the other day that when ThriftyAmy moved into her house and got busy, you picked up the ball and ran with it. I can honestly say with well over 50 blogs it is next to impossible to not spend at least 30 minutes per day keeping up with everyone...and will our ground breaking hopefully on Wednesday I may have to take vacation from now till September to just build and blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your morning room furniture is really nice. I am happy things are going well with your home and sad to hear about your grass. I can only imagine how busy I will be once our home is complete. You were missed and thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Has your furniture come in yet? I'd love to see pictures. We ended up ordering barstools from canadel and are wating for them to come in...it's been 5 weeks so it shouldn't be too much longer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm considering buying a Ryan Home and I notice that all these RH blogs end soon after the blogger has moved in. I'd like to know how things are now that you've been in the home a while. Anything new issues/ problems/ concerns to report? How is your home holding up? Would you buy your home again, and if so, is there anything you would do differently?

    ReplyDelete