Friday, August 20, 2010

What We Didn't Get...

I am so happy with the house and upgrades we decided on.  It's going to be a great house!  Of course, we couldn't get everything we wanted.   Here's a look at some of the things we didn't get.

Outside:
Quoin Corners - I can't really describe what this looks like, but considering it was a $1,200 upgrade, we can deal with regular brick corners!

Landscaping Packages - we opted not to do this since my best friend's husband is a landscaper.  To upgrade the package, and I'm not sure what all that includes, can cost up to $1,500.

Service Door for garage - We figure we can just open our garage door :)

Basement:

I would have loved to finish our basement, and we plan to do so in the future.  However, since its just the two of us right now, we have plenty of space.  Finishing it would be around 12 grand.  You can also add a bathroom.  We opted to get the plumbing and will eventually put a bathroom in on our own.

Kitchen:

Granite. granite, granite.  How I would love granite counter tops!   With the type of island we're getting and the fact that we're getting the breakfast bar with the morning room, $7,000 was way more than we wanted to spend.  The laminate we're getting does look like granite.  We figure down the road we can change this as well.

The other thing I love is stainless appliances, but we decided just to stick with the black.  There was a range of prices for the stainless.  We passed.  I'm just happy to be getting a dishwasher!  It will be the first time in my life I've had one!

Bathroom:
Owners bath - Neither one of us are big bath people, so we didn't feel that we needed a separate bath and shower.  We figured that money could be spent somewhere else in the house where more than just the two of us would enjoy it!
We also stuck with cultured marble rather than granite counter tops in the bathrooms.  The model home was great because it showed one bathroom with granite and one with the cultured marble so we knew exactly what to expect.  We'll have a pedestal sink in the downstairs bathroom, so these counters will only be on the vanities in the upstairs bathrooms.
Faucets - I'll be honest.  I HATE the chrome faucets that come standard.  But switching out faucets is an easy task.  We found faucets that we liked at Home Depot that would cost far less than the $1,000 - $1,850 upgrade.  So I'll live with the chrome faucets for a short time before we replace them.  Replacing the faucets is at the top of my list!

Those are all of the big upgrades that we chose not to get.  Yes, they would have been nice to have, but I think it will also be nice to live in our house for a bit and decide what we want to do with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment