Saturday, March 19, 2011

Blind Help!!!

I've been living here for 3 weeks now and still don't have blinds.  Mostly because of my indecisiveness.  I know it would have been cheaper to do the blinds ourselves, but my husband didn't really want to install them, I and I certainly didn't want to mess them up.  So, we're going through Lowes.  They came to measure and will do the installation for $118 which I thought was pretty good.  So I ordered swatches and met with the lady at Lowes today and now have the final decision to make.  All along I wanted white wood/faux wood blinds.  My husband likes the fabric cellular shades.  After reading Natalie's blog, I do think that cellular might be better for at least the upstairs because I can add a room darkening panel which would be good for when we eventually have kids in the rooms and for the master closet.  But since we have 4 windows that face the front of the house upstairs and 2 downstairs I think they should all be the same from the outside, so I was leaning towards the wooden blinds throughout the house.  Then today the Lowes lady told me that the blinds don't have to be the same, but the color does.  So...I could have wooden blinds downstairs and cellular upstairs and that would look fine.   Do you agree?  My husband wouldn't mind having the cellular blinds throughout the entire house, but I'm not sure about it.  Help!  What did you/are you planning on doing?

5 comments:

  1. We are going to do wooden blinds thoughout the house since we like the appearance of them. My brother has them in his house and they look nice. My parents have the cellular blinds throughout the house and they like them, but I don't like how you have to raise the entire blind if you want to get light through the window. I like with the wood blinds you can open them or lift them..more options. I also feel like it is easier to clean/dust the wood blinds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would do cellular, but I'm not a fan of wooden blinds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. KM,

    We went with Budget Blinds, and played roughly $100/window. I'm not a fan of cellular blinds because you have to go up or down. And, we also went with polymer which looks just like wood. The color we choose is Buttermilk for the whole house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Get what you want girl!! :) I like the faux wood ones....plus they arent that expensive...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with India...Get whatever you want!! It's your house! I've never heard of the blinds needing to be the same color throughout. Did the Lowes lady mention if this rule applies if you have different paint colors in different rooms? We went with white faux wood in all the windows except the living room and morning room where we went with bamboo and I haven't decided on what to get for the master bedroom and bathroom. However, I think I need to choose soon. My husband just informed me you can see into the bathroom pretty easily from the caul-de-sac behind us :-)

    ReplyDelete