Friday, January 14, 2011

Long Post...

I started writing this post several days ago, but life keeps getting in the way. There's just been too much going on! With the move coming up, it's just going to keep getting more and more crazy, but at least this aspect of my life is a good crazy.


We went by the house the other day and the brick is almost finished. I talked with the brick layer and they had to quit early because it was too windy. He said the scaffolding fell over twice! I'm liking it. I can't wait to see the finished product.




On Saturday we had the chance walk through the house. All of the wiring and plumbing were complete...well almost. The electrician forgot to install two outlets in the garage that we added, but it’s since been fixed. The insulation was all in and they began the drywall on Monday.


I got to see the basement for the first time! Last time I was inside, the basement didn’t have steps yet, so I wasn’t able to go down. Our basement is unfinished, but I was still very excited to see it. It's pretty big. While we're not finishing it now, there will be so much we can do with it when we're ready to. It will be a great space.

To the left of the stairs.  The bathroom will eventually go in this area.



The long section of the basement.



The basement  under the morning room.



Now I know I did a lot of complaining about the egress window, so I feel that I need to balance it out. I'm still not happy that we had to pay for this required "upgrade", but I really love this window. It's huge and lets in so much light. I didn't get a great picture of it, but you can see the light it lets in. It's not pretty to look out of - you stare at a well and a teeny tiny ladder, but I love the natural light. So, I'll stop complaining about it now.





I finally wore appropriate shoes and could trek back to the get my first peek at the back of the house.  I wish there was one more window on the second floor to balance it out, but it will be fine.

Can I tell you how in love I am with the morning room? Even though it eats up some of precious little yard space, I’m so glad we got it.



Thanks to Tasha's Countdown to my Ryan Home blog I was able to make a change I've been wanting to make. She had a picture of her unstained banisters. I thought they came pre-stained, so this was a nice surprise to find out they didn't. Since we're putting in our own hard wood floors after the move we've been out looking at our flooring options and I've been regretting the stain color for our banisters. We want to have the same floor in our kitchen/morning room and the dining room. The stain that we chose was too light and I couldn’t find a floor that would go well with both the banister and the color of our cabinets. Thankfully our PM let us make this late change free of charge. Without Tasha’s blog, I wouldn’t have even thought it was possible. Thanks Tasha…and all of you Ryan bloggers for that matter.


I haven’t been able to go to the house as much as I’d like lately. While my husband goes every other day or so, I’ve been missing some of the action. It’s been so nice though. Our sales reps. will periodically send me pictures of the progress. I really appreciate that gesture.  The brick is finished now, so I can't wait to get there this weekend to take a peek!

While this is off the topic, I feel that I must say it since I know some of you are from Maryland.  I'll be thinking about you this weekend as you deal with the Baltimore Ravens loss on Saturday.  Go Steelers!  If only we'd be in our house by the Super Bowl...  I can't wait to watch the games from our new house next season!

4 comments:

  1. Our front will be brick as well, but we have not finalized our selection. Your's looks very much like our first choice. What is the name of your brick. We are also struggling a little with picking our the stone for our basement fireplace. Picking Carpet, Tile, and flooring went surprisingly well as you can see from our blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couple of questions for you - you had to pay for that basement window? I am pretty sure we didn't have to and it was included but I can check for sure. Also, what is the deal with the banisters not being stained? Did you have to pay for the extra outlets in the garage?

    ReplyDelete
  3. BD, I believe our brick is called Valencia. It wasn't our first or even second choice, but I really like it. My husband drove by the other night and it's finished. I can't wait to see it. All of your chices wer fantastic!

    Jbbalt - Yes, we had to pay $850 for the large window! Isn't that crazy? The banisters come unstained and the painters stain them on site. I was soooooo happy about that. And yes, we did have to pay for the extra outlets in the garage. I know every electrician is different, but I think they were each in the $60 range.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Several years later, are you happy with the egress window? We've gone back and forth about adding it.

    ReplyDelete