Saturday, February 5, 2011

#20 and Opinions Please!

My mother-in-law and sister wanted a tour of the house so we went back today.  The neighborhood was booming today.  Lots of contractors and new and perspective buyers.  As far as our house goes, there was nothing new and different.  The stove that was there the other day is gone.  I'm guessing something was wrong with it.  Other than that, there was a cleaning lady there today - boy does she have her work cut out for her!  One of the workers who was there said our quality inspection is on Monday so he was there today doing some touch ups and finishes.  The light fixtures will be delivered on Tuesday and that's about it for the inside.  All the house needs now is us :)

#20 - Egress Window?!?!?!
I'm not exactly looking forward to this, but I am really glad we have it.  Although it will probably be a couple of years before we finish the basement, I love the light this window lets in.  I know I've mentioned it before, but didn't have a good shot.




Now the view out of window is far from nice.  It kinda feels like a submarine or something, but when we have curtains on it it will be fine.  Who knew that something I complained so much about having to pay for, I'd actually end up liking?

And now I need some opinions.  We are planning on getting new family room and dining room furniture - but my husband wants to get them one room at a time and save up until we buy the next one.  All along I wanted new dining room furniture first.  We don't have dining room furniture and that's the room you'll walk into so I wanted the dining room furnished.  But after spending some time in the house today, I'm thinking that maybe we should get the furniture for the family room first since that's where we'll be living.  We have furniture, but my husband bought it long ago and it's not really my taste.  I'm conflicted.  What do you think?

6 comments:

  1. Do the family room. You have time until the holidays, but if you don't like the current family furniture then I would get that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. KM I would definitely get family room furniture first...Do you plan on using the dining room as ur formal dining room? If so, what are you going to use the morning room for? We are using the front entrance as an office.....And our morning will be the dining area.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the opinions! That's kind of what I'm leaning towards now. We may be able to buy furninture for the other room more quickly, it just depends. The longer it takes to start a family= the longer I work full time = the faster I get furniture!
    India, we are using the dining room as a formal dining room. Eventually I hope to have a smaller table and a couple of sitting/reading chairs in the morning room. I really wanted a formal dining room. I just like the look of it. Although it won't be over the top formal, I wanted one formal room since I envision the rest of the house being pretty informal and "comfortable."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would do the family room furniture first, too. You will be using that a lot more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do the family room first and definitely try to get the other furniture BK (before kids). Why? you might ask. Because BK there will always be something else to spend your disposable income on, especially if you want to not work after starting a family. Our family room furniture was ok, but when we finished our basement we moved that furniture to the basement and then had no furniture in our family room and living room. With my parents help(Birthday and Christmas presents) we finally got both rooms furnished, but the kids took priority.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Remember you don't have to furnish everything at once :)

    I would spend some time with your current furniture so you can get used to the flow of the family room. Think about all your options, and figure out what you like and dislike about the old stuff.

    Before we moved in, I really thought we should buy a new couch and 2 chairs for the living room, and that layout worked in my mind . . but now that we've moved in, we realized a couch and loveseat would be a better fit for the way we use this space.

    ReplyDelete